|Policy issue area:||Society|
|Description:||Large number of Americans are victimized by criminal behavior.|
|Symptoms:||One-fourth of all American households are touched by crime; annual number of homicides is now about 20,000; pervasive fear of crime (especially among women and senior citizen) remains; although large percentage of serious crime is not reported, only 20% of offenses are settled through an arrest; United States has highest crime rate among the industrialized democracies, with two million inmates in prisons.|
|Causes:||Tradition of violence in the culture; areas of high unemployment; lack of economic opportunities for minorities, especially for teenagers; neglected children; racism.|
|Cost of problem:||-|
|Resources:||Federal, state and local governments; law enforcement agencies; business and industry.|
|Goal:||1. Decrease the rate of crime annually by 5%
2. Correct defects in the Federal and state criminal justice system
3. Combat more vigorously drug trafficking
4. Strengthen state and local law enforcement
5. Support voluntary rehabilitation of offenders who seek to improve their relationship to society.
|Program area:||Human resources development|
|Program-remedy:||1. Improve drug control, prevention and punishment programs
2. Target Federal aid to programs designed to identify and convict professional criminals
3. Develop alternative sentencing and facilities for those convicted of non- violent crimes -- community service, job programs, basic education
4. Increase funding for juvenile delinquency prevention programs
5. Increase prosecution of white collar crime -- consumer fraud, embezzlement, bribery, corruption, etc.
6. Develop and use modern technologies to assist the criminal justice system.
|Program-prevent:||1. Economic development of inner city depressed areas
2. Support and funding for community crime prevention programs
3. Programs to assist rehabilitation of released offenders.
|Cost of program:||-|
|Beneficiaries:||Potential victims of crime; business and industry.|
Return to Summary